I started this blog to share my recipes and techniques on how I like to cook or prepare food. I enjoy cooking and I love to make sure everyone is fed and fed well. lol I hope to be able to help with questions about different types of food and how to cook or prepare it. I also hope to share my love of food with you and for you to share yours with me.

If you would like, you can leave a comment or question for me here and I will try to answer you with-in 24 hrs.

Thank you for stopping by my blog.

Thursday, October 7, 2010

Pumpkin Brownies...mmmmm


Today starts with me thinking of pumpkins and one of my favorite ways use them. Pumpkin Brownies!

But first I will start with what I like to use in making them. In my yrs of learning how to cook I have learned that you don't always need to have exactly what the recipe calls for. I use Self Rising Flour instead of regular flour, it eliminates the need for the baking powder and soda. Just make sure the flour is a good quality one and that it is a new bag. Also, if you do not have Pumpkin Pie Spice, it's OK too. The one that I use is the last option. Here are a few:
  • Mix ¼ cup of cinnamon with 4 tsp of ground ginger and 2 tsp of nutmeg
  • Mix ¼ cup cinnamon with 1 Tbsp each of ground ginger, nutmeg, and ground cloves
  • Mix ¼ cup cinnamon with 2 Tbsp of ground ginger and 1 Tbsp each of nutmeg and ground cloves
  • Mix 1 Tbsp each of cinnamon and ground ginger with ½ Tbsp ground nutmeg and ½ tsp ground allspice
When it comes to greasing and flouring the pan I use a cooking spray that already has a flour in it that is specifically made for baking. This eliminates another time consuming step in the baking process.

Also when you start to mix the ingredients I whisk all of the wet ingredients first and then add the more solid and dry to it.

Please let me know what you think.

So here we go!

Ingredients:

·    1 15 oz. can pumpkin
·    1 C. vegetable oil
·    4 eggs
·    2 C. sugar
·    2 C. flour
·    1 tsp. baking soda
·    1 tsp. baking powder
·    1 tsp. pumpkin pie spice
·    ½-tsp. salt

Directions:

1.    Preheat oven to 350* degrees. Grease and flour a 9x13 inch baking pan.
2.    Mix together oil, eggs, sugar and pumpkin with an electric mixer. Stir in the remaining ingredients. Pour into prepared pan.
3.    Bake for 30 minutes, or until center springs back when touched. Serve with whipped topping or frost with a cream cheese frosting.

Cream Cheese Frosting

Ingredients:

·    ¼-cup butter, softened
·    1 package (8 ounces) cream cheese, room temperature
·    1 pound confectioners' sugar, sifted ( powdered sugar)
·    2 teaspoons vanilla extract

Directions:
Mix the butter and cream cheese together first and then add the confectioners' sugar and then the milk a little at a time into a large mixing bowl; beat well until smooth.  Makes enough cream cheese frosting for a 2-layer cake also.

2 comments:

  1. I've made pumpkin muffins, but never brownies. Sounds delish! I'm so glad it's fall!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh those sound so good. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete